Our promise to you, from Bury Council and other people, about what you should expect them to do for you whilst you are in care.
What is our promise?
Our promise is a list of promises and commitments put together by the Children in Care Council, Council members and senior managers from Bury Council. The promise is to you from Bury Council and other people, about what you should expect them to do for you whilst you are in care. This promise has been signed by many different sections in Bury Council to make sure you are happy, healthy and receive the best care possible.
Our Commitments to you are
- We will tell you why you are in care and help you to understand these reasons
- We will ensure that you have a safe place to live with people who care about you until you are 21 if that is what you wish
- We will care for you as we would our own children
- We will listen to you and involve you in all decisions that affect you
- We will support you in your education for as long as you want to continue learning
- We will support you to take part in hobbies and clubs outside of school
- We will make you aware of your rights as children and young people in care, and support you to make a complaint if required
- We will treat you as individuals and not assume that all children and young people in care have the same needs and wishes
- We will support you with health concerns
- We will ensure that all members of Bury Council understand their roles as Corporate Parents
- We will enable you to live with your siblings where possible and explain the reasons why if this is not possible
- We promise to keep changes in social workers to a minimum. If changes are necessary we will do our best to ensure your old social worker introduces you to your new social worker
- We will involve you in plans about placement moves, including when possible, meeting foster carers or residential care staff
- We will not share personal information about you with other professionals without your consent, unless absolutely necessary